Friday, June 10, 2016

H & H

Remember a couple of days ago when I wrote about the hot shower, the coolness, the possibility of turning the heat on??? Well, forget I ever said anything. Today, the temps reached almost 100 and the humidity rose right along with the heat. Did I say turn the heat on....forget it, the AC is blasting as I write. It's almost too hot to sit on the porch, and when I say that, you know it's hot. Not much keeps me inside, especially on June 10th (aka early summer).

Drinking coffee and catching up with the news this morning was pleasant, but I could feel that H&H (heat & humidity) sneaking in. (and so could the squirrels)


By the time I was back home after posing for a portrait for our church directory, it was damn hot. I haven't posed for a portrait in probably 10 years and that too was for a church directory, only last time it was with my sweetie.  This time it's just me. felt a little off-balance. I had been told that there would be a black background, and not to wear black. Darn, that's so slimming....so I chose bright pink, the polar opposite. The photographer took about 7 poses and thru the magic of digital, I was able to choose the pose I thought was the most flattering immediately. And yes, the pink was a stand-out against the black and with my blonde grey hair the portrait was to my liking.  My kids are getting a 5x7 whether they want it or not.

I stopped on the way home at a park with the idea that maybe I could spy a bird or two with my new lens, but it was so hot and so windy, I didn't step foot outside of the car. Great adventurer I am?? As I was backing out of the parking lot, I spied red on a tree, hmmm. I grabbed my BIG lens and snapped a few pictures, and no, I still didn't step out of the car, merely rolled the window down, being the great adventurer that I am.  Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is? It has those whirly bird/helicopter seedlings but they are RED, not green. The leaves don't look like a maple either. I could probably search the internet, but it would be easier if someone just told me.


Stopped at Walgreens to pick up a couple of "out of" items and passed by a display for Starbucks Frappuccinos. Decided quickly I needed one of those to enjoy on the back porch. Enjoyed the frappuccino, but the heat was too much and drove me inside. My body takes more than a day to adapt from the 60's to the 90's.


"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it."  ~  Russell Baker

Until next time.....

10 comments:

  1. Deanna, It's hard to believe you're in heat and humidity already. I still have to navigate some snow drifts on the trail behind the house. That squirrel looks like me in humidity. I hate having my photo taken, but I'm always ready to take a pic of someone else! If they said "no black" to me, I'd be in trouble! Stay cool. I'll roll in some snow for you tomorrow when I hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that squirrel picture. He looks like me when it's hot and humid! I'm so relieved that we're not getting it hot over here so far. This time last year it was hot and pretty humid in Europe too and air conditioning is very rare... so we all flop around and pull down the blinds and turn on the fans and have tossing and turning nights dreaming of September!
    It sounds as if your portraits came out really well and you got to choose the best one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I had tolaugh at that pooped out Squirrel on the tree. it is amazing how nowadays how the tempturatures vary from day to day. Fortunate that you have air conditioner at home and in the car. Don't know the plant, hope soomeone else does other wise you will have to research it for us!!!! What about showing us the photoo you got taken at the church next time? I hope you have a wonderuful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deanna ... had to smile at that squirrel (great capture!) Being a northerner I can't take the heat either ... lovely to be back reading your blog and I see I have a bit of catching up to to do! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The squirrel sums it up perfectly!
    Damn hot!
    I can feel the steam happening here in Michigan . . .
    H &H . . . and some people live for this kind of weather . . .
    I guess I have never been into extremes!
    Looking forward to seeing that church photo . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that squirrel is too funny, Deanna!
    Why is it that everyone is having heat except NY?
    39 degrees here yesterday morning on my walk. :-(
    Happy day to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot here the last couple of days too. Humid yesterday. Hot today but not as humid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That squirrel says it all! Ohhhh that's funny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had a frapaccino today - those things are addicting! 100 degrees is just too darn hot - poor little squirrel looks about done in.....Our temperatures have been fluctuating like crazy, too. Last week it was in the mid-90's, today I have the heat on. Sorry about the solo photo.....a hug xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been mighty chilly here - no complaining! I have my window ac in it's box holding out as long as possible!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.