Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Good Start




The first snips from the garden....Catmint and a new rose bush I planted right by the front door.  Well, technically I didn't plant it, my landscaper/grass taker-care of guy did, but I picked it out and paid for it.  I have been working in the garden over this past week and nothing beats the "hands in the dirt" feeling.  I still have some work to do in my back gardens, but it will happen, eventually.  Something happened to my huge area of monarda (bee balm), only the seedlings came up this year which is quite puzzling since monarda is a staple around here. So I have this rather large, rather empty space that I need to figure out what to plant in that empty spot.  Visiting the nurseries around here I'm finding, unfortunately, something in common....sadly prices keep going up up up.  Am I surprised, no. Do I like it, no.

I have two very distinct obsessions....books and flowers.  I guess if you are going to have an obsession, books and flowers are not by any means dreadful.  (Dreadful would probably fall into another category).   Perhaps dreadful on the pocketbook, but certainly not dreadful for the deep satisfaction I receive from both.  Sitting on the back porch, looking out at the garden and reading a good book is one of my life's greatest pleasures, along with vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate.


OK, switching to a totally different subject, this past Friday Bailey (granddaughter who is living with me) and I road-tripped up to the Milwaukee Zoo to meet up with Hilary and my great grand, Matilda Mae.  She is 20 months old (I know, how did that happen??) and is just a total delight. She had been to the zoo about a week prior with Hilary's Mom (aka grandmother) and loved it. It is a beautiful zoo, such a lovely setting, filled with just the right amount of animals but way too many peacocks.  I have no idea how many there are, but the males were definitely in the "mating mood".  Their mating call is definitely a turn-off, screechingly unacceptable. But I gotta admit they are stunning birds.


The animals were exceptionally active that day. Instead of the usual trying to spot them sleeping inside a cave we saw this....




A couple of "different" friends....


Matilda, did you enjoy the zoo??  And look, she has wisps of hair over her ears, won't be long until she has a pony tail.


Definitely a great start to the 100 days of summer.

"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness."
                                                                                                                      ~John Steinbeck

Until next time.....



8 comments:

  1. I'm swooning at the catmint with the rose. Also the turtle and the Llama. But, of course, Matilda Mae steals the show. What an expressive face she has! Your photos are wonderful, Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanna, It's been a joy to spend some time today catching up on your blog, your lovely writing and your beautiful photos. I admire all you are doing so much and hope to stay connected up better this year. See you on Instagram! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catnip and a Rose in that delightful vase and your exceptional photography made my day.
    Oh my . . . the clarity!
    The animals and the zoo were a treat to see.
    Having lived in Milwaukee when the zoo was being built and entrance was 50 cents
    to park the car . . . trips to the zoo happened frequently.
    I have heard that hearing the Peacock screech/trill is quite the experience.
    Matilda Mae certainly makes for a Happy Day . . .
    So adorable with those wisps of hair . . . .
    It reminds me of my baby pictures . . . always with a bonnet because I had very little hair.
    Two days in a row . . . Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your animal pictures are STUNNING!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Deanna, Matilda Mae is absolutely precious!
    What a wonderful day for everyone, and it looks like you are having beautiful weather.

    I just love the rose and catmint arrangement. It really is just beautiful.

    You have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely photo journal of your day! Flowers, animals and a little cutie called Matilda Mae! I like your idea of plenty of flowers, books and vanilla ice-cream! Ah! the feeling of summer pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love your catmint shot and oh! Look at that hair on Matilda Mae!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos and what a cutie! Have a fantastic week!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/06/orange-beach-alabama.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.