Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Downton Abbey and 18 More From the Happiness List

Falling behind again.....little tiny excuse, caught a nasty cold that seemed to take up permanent residence in my head for the better part of last week thru the weekend. Feeling better now, thank you.  
But before all that happened, I had a chance to drool over this wonderful display of Downton Abbey finery at a small museum in Chicago. The Driehaus Museum is a spectacular home built during the gilded age of the 19th century and owned by a banker of great wealth.  In 2003 Richard Driehaus (another man of obvious great wealth) decided to restore this grand home to it's original opulence and open it for public displays.  Let me just say, there couldn't have been a better venue to show off the fashions that our favorite family wore during the past 6 years.  So sad that Sunday is the last of the Downton delights. It has been one of my favs since it's first season. It will definitely go on my "happy" list.




This was probably the only time in the past several years that I have not lugged my big-girl camera along while traveling into the city.  I was joining 4 friends, riding the train, walking to and fro and just decided no extra baggage was needed. So my I-Phone was the camera of choice for the day.

A couple of street scenes...loved the green shoes with those tights and NO that is definitely not an advertisement for Trump, I just love this view of the city from the bridge.


After our trip to the museum, a quite tasty lunch with $3.00 Mimosas, and a walk to the Art Museum for a viewing of works by Vincent Van Gogh, we walked by one of my favorite areas of the city. Millenium Park and the Bean.  In the summertime this area is filled with out-door diners, but in the winter the city converts it into an ice rink. As you can see it was a gorgeous day, probably in the 50's, sun shining, breezes blowing (which later took a definite turn from breezy to knock you off your feet windy).  We had quite a trip from the Art Museum to the train station. Let's just say I never want to be in winds that strong EVER again.


The only reason I am writing this post today is that the plane scheduled to take me to my late winter migration to Phoenix was cancelled due to snow and ice conditions. Altho as I am typing this I do hear a plane in the air. Oh well, better safe than sorry. Somehow sitting in the seat of a plane and watching a team de-icing the wings tends to make me a might uncomfortable. Re-scheduled for tomorrow when Mother Nature calms herself....after all it is March 1st. Isn't the saying "In like a lion..." well predicted.

More Happy.... Don't be surprised if I repeat myself, forgetfulness is my middle name these days.

33.  Downton Abbey - loved watching this show, will miss all the characters, the costumes, the story-lines, the love, the ups and downs. I'm sure tears will be rolling down my cheeks on Sunday night, but they will be "happy" tears.

34.  Movies - I've loved movies since I was a kid too little to cross the busy street by myself.  I have written a piece about my love for the movies for my collaborative blog Focusing On Life tomorrow (Wednesday).

35.  My Kindle - I was one of those that said "I'll never give up books", well guess what, I have become a total fan of the Kindle e-reader. I have bookshelves of books on that little device. I splurged last week and purchased the new Kindle Fire 10.  Lightweight, big screen....love it.

36.  The aroma of anything by Crabtree & Evelyn.  I just love all of their fragrances.

37.  A window seat on an airplane. I love watching the clouds, seeing glimpses of the land below, and taking an Instagram shot of the wings of the plane.

38.  Google - It makes me so happy to have an answer to a question or directions in an instant.

39.  Having my hair washed at the hair salon. I want that gentle rubbing on my head to go on forever.

40.  Warmed peanut butter on toast

41.  A nap on the screen porch in the summertime

42.  Crab Apple tree blossoms in the spring

43.  When people drive me home and wait until I unlock the door before they drive away.

44.  Band concerts in the park

45.  Strolling along the Riverwalk

46.  Right out of the oven chocolate chip cookies

47.  Flea Markets

48.  Remembering when phone exchanges all had names....mine was DAVIS 7 1095.

49.  Lily of the Valley in spring

50.  French Toast with apple butter.

So the remains of my list will be written from Phoenix since I will be there for my birthday. I am sure that my surroundings will influence my list.

Until next time.....



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the teaser for the Dressing Downton Abbey exhibit! It comes to Cincinnati this summer and my sister and I can hardly wait! I love reading your happy list! It reminds me of so many things I can add to my own list: Spring Rain lotion & bath gel from Crabtree & Evelyn have been my signature scent for years and crab apple tree blossoms-- we had a huge tree in front of our home growing up that was glorious in the spring (to name a few). Beautiful photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna,
    Have a fabulous birthday trip to Phoenix.

    My Mom and Dad are Downton Abbey fans too.

    I'm an e-reader fan too and what did we do before Google? I agree with 39 and 40 also! Toast spread with pb and let it melt just a bit, :).

    I agree with you on 43 too. Waiting is a simple sign that says so much. I usually wait until another reaches the door or wait to make sure their vehicle starts before leaving.

    Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deanna, I LOVE Downton Abbey! I have seen all of the final episodes and a little sad we won't be seeing any more.
    I can totally relate to so many of your "Happinesses", especially numbers 33, 34, 36, 37, 38, 45 & 46. :)
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy I have Downtown Abbey taped . . . I like to watch just to listen to them talk . .
    I like chocolate cookies in batter form . . . best . . .
    (I know, they say that is not a good thing to do!)
    Thank goodness today was a "no fly" for you . . . miserable weather here . . .
    Happy trip tomorrow . . . hug that warmth for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Downton fashions are just wonderful! I think I am going to buy the series on DVD just so I can focus on them (and the beautiful Abbey) a little closer. Fun photos of your trip to the city. Lucky you going to Phoenix. Hope you have a lovely birthday! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little jealous as this is my favorite city. Glad you got to go to that great museum and will have to put that on my bucket list. I too will be so sad to see the end of Downtin Abbey, Also loving your list of things you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deanna, It's snowing and blowing here in Breckenridge today - I sure hope your plane took off in Chicago and has you in warmer climes. I'm in love with your street scenes and city scapes - love the architecture reflection on the dome at the ice rink with the flying-haired girl. When I read your list, I think it could be my own. Because of my allergy, I can't read books anymore unless they're electronic (paper and ink contain formaldehyde). Thank goodness for Kindle! Have fun in the sun in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We took our girls to the Downton exhibit at Biltmore Mansion last winter and we had the best time! The exhibit was incorporated into a tour of the house, though, and I wasn't allowed to take pictures. Boo. So it was a delight to see yours! Safe journeys, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not watched Downtown Abbey but my oh my they did wear some awesome clothes. Love the red dress. Hope you were able to get off on your trip and are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 51. Safe travels...I like the previous 50 to just pick one...!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.